Monday, February 08, 2010

Ice Fishing

You know, some may say that ice fishing is as boring as boring can get. Staring through a hole in the ice, waiting for a bite that may never come can be just that sometimes, but yesterday proved the skeptics wrong.

After arriving at the spot around 3:30, I drilled several holes out in the channel of the river. After fishing there for approximately a half hour without a bite, I moved in towards the edge of the channel. After I spudded out some previously drilled holes, I dropped my lines down and immediately started catching fish.

By myself, I landed around 25 walleye, including an 8 pounder (which I threw back) and a 4 pounder (which I kept). Both of these fish really put up an incredible fight under the ice, with each Walleye taking out several feet of line in each fight. The 8 pounder was a big female, and I let her go because fish that big really don't taste good, and because she was packed full of eggs to procreate. All in all, it was a great day of fishing and it will definitely keep me coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment